Monday, January 18, 2010

Four-wing Saltbush & Irregular Wax Scale


Four-wing Saltbush, Atriplex canescens
on the left with a new and on the right an old infestation
of Irregular Wax Scale,
Ceroplastes irregularis
(On the left, my dog in the background, Caninous DixieBellious v. Cates)


I've wondered about this orange stuff — now I know it's scale — for some time. So far, I've only noticed it on four-wing saltbush where sometimes it almost completely covers its host. I've also noticed that infestations are not sporadic, but rather grouped together, attacking most of the saltbush in a particular area.

There are about 8,000 varieties of scale, a kind of insect that usually is parasitic, sucking sap from its plant host. It is the female that we see, immobile, covered here in her waxy protection. The male has wings and can fly, but is typically short-lived, sometimes not even feeding in its lifetime. Generally scales are considered a pest because at some point their infestation will damage branches, or even kill their host.

Not always entirely a pest, though. The most well-known scale is probably cochineal that grows on prickly pear, and long before the infamous Red #5, was a valuable source of a much-coveted red dye.

While not as famous as its cousin, the irregular wax scale also was used ingeniously by Native Americans. The wax from the insect's outer covering was used to waterproof baskets, as a mastic on tool handles and bows, and even as chewing gum.

Out in the field one day, I decided to see for myself what was under that bumpy, cream-colored crust. I picked off a single insect. The waxy outer crust surprisingly came off with little effort, but it was difficult not to damage the inner creature, who exuded some reddish fluid under the pressure. It was apparent she was very definitely living, at least up until I plucked her from her food source. At another time, I had tried to see what was up with this crusty stuff, but then I must have worked with an older, dying infestation; the crust then was crumbly (I described it as "like granola") whereas the wax from this specimen was firm, but soft.

Not the prettiest insect I've ever seen. Still, I'd like to take some home to look at closer with a good light and magnifying glass. And I'd like to experiment with the wax as basket waterproofing since I've been making some yucca baskets. I confess that after seeing the scale insect inside, I doubt I will ever experiment with it as chewing gum!



Links (Four-wing Saltbush):
Links (Scale insects):

No comments: