Thursday, March 05, 2009

Sing, baby, Sing

Cactus wren in budding fruitless mulberry
Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus, Morus alba Striblingii


Sitting at my computer this morning, my attention was diverted to somewhere outside by the undeniable call of a cactus wren. I grabbed my camera and in my stealthiest mode went searching. Turns out little did I need to be so secretive; this guy was high in the big mulberry out front and was serious about his need for a mate. His head would contort while he sounded his chucking call, then he'd look to his right, to his left, "any takers?" A few more looks around, and then again he'd sing out. I'm hopeful for him. Surely if he can attract the attention of a hard-working computer programmer, he can attract the attention of a like-minded female of his own species.

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

How interesting...hope he finds her.